Saturday, August 16, 2008

Blogger me this...

So, today's task is to make a "Label Cloud" for use on this blog and on the "Backstage at GameVortex" blog. I am rather surprised that there's not already one out there. I'm basically trying to reproduce the old familiar "Tag Cloud" look, but using the blog's labels instead of reader-assigned tags.

I suppose the work will come in handy, as I am considering adding a "Tag" system and a "Tag Cloud" to GameVortex and, perhaps, PSillustrated and I'll need to know how to create these from scratch, I would assume. Unless there's a really generic "tagging" system out there. Hmm... that might be worth looking into, actually.

Anyway, I am finding the gadgets (or widgets) for Blogger to be rather limited and stubborn to deal with. The problem seems to come with wanting to have access to the blog page's data and wanting to be able to work with the data in any real way. What I need to be able to do is determine the minimum and maximum values for data:label.count, but my attempts to pass them into a javascript function or set up a variable and set it while looping through the items seems thwarted at every turn.

So, in the mean time, I've basically hard-coded a version. I'm certainly not happy with it, but at least it's something that proves the idea for now.

No comments: