Saturday, August 30, 2008

Battening down the hatches...

Hurricane Gustav, 5-day forecast: Saturday Aug 30 @ 9:00 PMSo it's been a while since we've really had a bad hurricane barrel right down on us. The last one that affected me was Katrina, although I was lucky; Rita did a good bit of damage that same year.

Now, it looks like Mother Nature may just be making up for lost time. Hurricane Gustav is headed straight for us with all of the computer models in general consensus that it's not turning until after it's made landfall. And, it's not a small, wimpy storm; it's currently a Category 4 storm, and it's waltzing through the Gulf, which gives it the opportunity to gain strength before its arrival, which, according to the forecasts, is due to mess my life up this Monday. Happy Labor day! I brought you some rain and wind! Ug.

As if that wasn't bad enough, it looks like Gustav has a girlfriend that may be showing up to the party, albeit a few days later. Hanna is currently a tropical storm, but it appears that she is making a bee-line towards the Gulf of Mexico. I am personally hoping that either she changes course or Florida knocks the wind (and rain) out of her. We really don't need a couple of hurricanes within a week of each other. That's just poor scheduling.

For anyone who was afraid that I might climb up a tree and cut my limbs off, I wasn't able to go into Harahan, due to traffic from people evacuating. Hopefully the tree won't fall into my Mother-in-Law's house before I can get down there and remove it. I did, however, spend all day today and yesterday preparing my house and my neighbor J.R. Nip's house for the coming hurricane. I had to round up all of the small things that were outside and put them in storage, and take all of the larger things, such as outside furniture, and put them all close together in my carport and cable them all together so they won't go flying out of my yard. Will that work? I dunno... it worked last time, but time will tell. I have about one more day of preparation and about one more day before it hits, so it should work out. I'm also trying to get as much of my reviews and other site work done while I still have power and Internet access, as these become scarce commodities when a hurricane hits.

Until later, this is the Geck0, signing off.

No comments: