Friday, March 23, 2012

This just in... Dub Step is awesome...

Okay, so I'm not the most wired-in person when it comes to music... especially trends taking place across the pond. Heck, I'm still greatly enthralled by Hot Buttered's Popcorn. However, I have recently discovered Dub Step (or, more likely and more often, Bro Step, which, as I understand it, is what we in America** think is Dub Step, but its bass fails to get into the truly sub-base range.)

I recently reviewed World of Tanks. The music in World of Tanks is cinematic and appropriate for the WWII period. However, once I had evaluated the game with its included music, I foudn myself muting the music, playing Dub Step on YouTube while I played and having a blast...

At any rate, I cannot fully express how awesome Dub Step is*. It is a nearly complete and ultimate synergistic manifestation of everything musical from my teenage years. It is Electronica. I uses samples from popular media, including not only movies, but videogames. It often has a certain amount of irreverence. It is often ambient or environmental in nature. It often utilizes (or, at least, sounds good with) rap. It is all about bass. Each of these elements resonate greatly with me.

I'm interested in trying my hand at forging some Dub Step*. I expect to do most of my creating on a computer, and must first find the appropriate software. I'm doing my research now, but I'm definitely open to any advice. Anyone know some good software for building up Dub Step and/or mashups?

* That is GOOD Dub Step. Like any other genre of music, it is possible to create something with no creativity or skill to mention and label it as Dub Step. The label, in and of itself, does not make music good. (Nor does simple addition of Wub-wubs.)

**United States of America... not necessarily the North American or South American continents. Just the U.S.

No comments: